Wednesday, 20 August 2014

Plotting and Procrastination


Do you remember when I used to title all my blog posts with Austen-style alliteration? No? Shame. Those were the days. More recently my blog-worthy activities haven't been so alliteration friendly, until now, for which you can thank my massive unwillingness to write.

I like writing, but have failed to write anything vaguely readable for the past 2 years. I was working on something very personal and frankly, a bit too close to home to write comfortably. As such, it was very difficult to write, and very easy to judge harshly. I canned it (although perhaps temporarily) a few months ago and have been coming up with a new idea since. Above is the plotting stage, which I was at last weekend. Since then, I've just been putting off actually starting the actual writing of actual draft 1. I'm scared of it - it's been so long since I last did it vaguely decently that I'm worried I can't do it any more. 

But enough was enough, and this evening I forced arse to chair and decided I'd write the first 1000 words if it killed me. 

It didn't start well. I managed 388 words and realised it wasn't working. How are you supposed to introduce characters?! How do you do that? How write books arrrrrghghghg!?

So I cut them and now have 43. Then I started sneezing and decided I might be allergic to words. So I tried writing a blog (this one here), which seems to have cleared that up and, hopefully got me back in the mindset of typing and thinking and typing again.

So now I'm going to try and get that last 957 words out. 

Wish me luck.

Kx

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog Miss H. I hope those last 957 words came swiftly! It is so incredibly difficult to write and, yes, somehow when you are writing something so very personal it makes it that much harder. I always second guess myself, or think about what people who know me will think of me when they read it, and it causes me to chicken out.

    I am such an amazing procrastinator it frustrates the living daylights out of me! Maybe one day I will write again, but for now, all I can do is blog it out!

    Best of luck:)

    ReplyDelete