Wednesday, 16 May 2012

ZOMG Peanut Butter Shortbread

I've been thinking for a while about making what I'm going to call *ZOMG Peanut Butter Shortbread*. Because, ZOMG, peanut butter shortbread!

So last night I decided to bite the bullet and risk ruin and embarrassment by badly adapting a standard shortbread recipe myself. This is the basic recipe I started with, but nice as shortbread is, surely it can't help but be improved by the addition of peanut butter? And what wouldn't be? Actually, don't answer that. 

I ended up going off piste on a lot of the recipe, as you'll see, but that was mainly down to my Old Mother Hubbard style cupboards. Despite having planned this for a few days, prepared, I was not. 

The recipe called for 125g of butter, so I substituted 25g of that with chunky peanut butter. I'm all over unsalted, unsweetened peanut butter at the moment, which is just blitzed up roasted peanuts with nothing else added. *Delicious*. I used brown sugar rather than caster, which I think upped the sweetness, so I didn't miss anything using unsweetened peanut butter. Also it was what was in the cupboard... 
It made a nice and easily roll-able dough, despite the nutty chunks, and I had fun breaking in some Christmas themed cutters that Boyfriend bought me about three years ago.

Rotate head 90 degrees clockwise for optimum viewing.
It looked a bit like a gingerbread dough in the end, and I had to restrain myself from eating the scraps! I tried a little though - you know, for important and necessary tasting business...

Out of focus but delicious. 
I stuck a couple of dark chocolate chips on top, because *yummy* and then dusted with more brown sugar (no icing sugar in the house), then after a chilling in the fridge for 20 minutes they were good to go!

That's not glare from the foil, that's the glow of awesome.
I didn't do a head count on how many it made, and those Christmas trees were barely bigger than an inch, but it made three small trays worth of various sizes.
Unflattering close-up.
They're a bit overcooked, I think. Some of them were nearer hard than crunchy, but I'm going to blame that on my dodgy oven. But still, we ate them all within the hour!

I'll definitely make them again, although the recipe needs more tweaking. The peanut butter flavour was more subtle than I'd have liked, so I'll up it to 50g next time, and also mix chocolate chips in with the dough rather than sticking them on top! And also, lower the cooking time to about 15 minutes. But still, YUM.

It was all excellent fuel (I'll admit, I ate about two thirds of them!) for the crazy website slog I did after. I'm still working on the redesign, and managed to get ALL of the coding done in 2.5 hours. I used Dreamweaver, which takes care of a lot of the more complicated stuff, but it was surprisingly enjoyable trying to figure out stuff like blog embedding and RSS feed links. Google is amazing in that respect, though! All I need to do now is get the content sorted and do some illustrations for a few download links. Should definitely all be done over the next week or so, and I can't wait to show you!

KHx

No comments:

Post a Comment