Friday, 25 May 2012

In Which Plotting Does Not Occur

I'm indecisive, as it happens. Every day the boyfriend and I go through the "No, but what do you want to do this evening?" rigmarole, and often end up tossing a coin to decide what we're having for tea, or what films to watch, and so on. Which is quite nice, really, if you like the idea of randomly generated leisure time.

So plotting is something of a struggle for me, and I'm unwilling to surrender the future of my WiP to the coin toss. I've been plotting this one on and off for months, and I did a post-it note wall before Christmas. Queries and edits and other stuff kept pushing it back, but now I have no excuse. Plotting must be done! It shall be done! But while I have the basics lined up, I'm struggling with the fine-tuning. Like changing time scales slightly, moving characters around and, dare I say, committing to something that may turn out awful.

But I'm just going to have to get over it. I can't wait to start writing, but I want the bones down first and it's easier to put it off than risk doing it wrong. I've been beating myself up about it ever since I finished the website, and trying to guilt-trip myself into working, BUT THEN I came across this:
Source: Google, Tumblr, Twitter, I couldn't find any that weren't captioned 'I found this somewhere'...
If you did it, (the original photo) you're awesome and I want you to have credit. If anyone knows, tell me and I'll update!
Mark Ruffalo really wants you to write as he wants you to be happy. Chris Evans believes you can do it if you just put your mind to it. Robert Downey Jr wants you to get on with it so you can go for a drink after. And Chris Hemsworth has a sneaking suspicion he's in some of those scenes you're going to be writing, if you know what he means...

So today, I've left my book at home and will be spending my lunch break PLOTTING. For the Avengers. If not THE WORLD.

KHx

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha!

    I love this post and that picture is amazing. The Avengers, my goodness, I love them all ... especially The Hulk. He is my favourite.

    I just started working on my novel last night. I have been putting it off for months (if not years), but there came a point where I couldn't put it off any longer. It just spilt out of me as it were ...

    I'm not a massive plotter but this one will need to be plotted I think. Good idea about the post-it wall. I might need to give that a go!

    Good luck!!

    http://unpublishedworksofme.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi UnpublishedLife,
    Thanks for the Good Luck, I think I need it! I think I'm going to be trying a spreadsheet to help with the plotting, I do love spreadsheets...
    Best of luck with your novel!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete