Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Cemeteries and Such

Last weekend, having recovered (mostly) from the flu that struck me after my last post, Mr Dishington and I went to Sheffield to see a Sonata Arctica gig. It was pretty good, and I had fun, but that was all totally eclipsed the next day when we went and explored the old cemetery.

I don't wish to be morbid, and this won't be every one's cup of tea, but it must be the most beautiful cemetery I've ever seen. It's a glorious, Victorian Gothic pile, all tumbled stones and rampant ivy. With a derelict old chapel (Non-Conformist) and a petite yet equally derelict Church of England church, it mixes the Grecian with the medieval and is capped with green iron gates featuring the Ouroboros, the Egyptian symbol of eternity.

We explored for a while, and the grey day made it perfect. It was pretty inspirational for my WiP and the old company offices beside it had the same name as my heroine's surname; Montague. I took it as a good sign!

Speaking of writing, I didn't manage to do any while I was all flu-ed up, and completely missed my last 5K target. I did a lot of reading though, and decided I'm going to change the narration to first person. I'll continue my first draft as first person, but since I'm rewriting the beginning anyway, I'll keep that as third person for now.

It was a bit tricky to get into writing as a character and I found it a bit daunting. I wrote a few background pieces to try and get into the right voice, and wandered around talking to myself for a bit, but nothing got me into it as much as actually writing! With the knowledge of draft 2 at the back of my mind, I feel freer to experiment and just try stuff out, which is nice. Any tips out there for getting into character?

While I was out of action, so to speak, I managed to finish uploading my Zazzle products, and make buttons and links. There's a link at the top of the blog, as well as on my links page and home page. Feel free to take a meander and let me know what you think of the designs I've got up there, and if you have any suggestions!

Miss H.

3 comments:

  1. So, so gorgeous. Cemeteries are the best sources of inspiration. My imagination goes crazy, imagining the people and their histories. I'm so glad it worked for you, too!

    You really have to come across the pond sometime and check out the mausoleums in the cemeteries of New Orleans, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been learning about loads of macabre stuff! Have you heard about this-? http://www.artgraphica.net/art-shop/prague-kutna-hora-bone-church.htm
    Really want to go....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I would have loved to see that cemetery. Old places like that are rich with detail and ambiance, and dare I say it, creativity? There's something about the stone and the old leaves clotting the grass that sets my brain going on what could happen here in a setting.

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete