Monday, 28 February 2011

Un-Tangling POVs and Characterization

Aaah, word play:) I went to see Tangled last week. I could say that as a storyteller, I am interested in any example of the craft, particularly in the romance genre, so felt duty bound to attend. But I'll be honest; it's a Disney fairy tale so I am ALL over it.

The good thing about the recent animated films rather than the older, classic Disneys is that they are dynamic enough to appeal to adults as well as children, without stooping to sly, rude humour. Not that I've anything against sly, rude humour, but it's a bit disappointing at times in a PG.

I've never been a big fan of the Rapunzel story. If the witch/whoever climbed up her hair to get in, why didn't she just do that to get out? It seemed a pretty big plot hole to me, and I've never really got past that. I mean I've already assumed she has ridiculously fast growing hair and very strong roots, but no brain either?

But I have faith in Hollywood story-telling, most particularly in cartoons, so I went in with an open mind and OH MY GOSH IT WAS BRILLIANT *gushes*

The Rapunzel-not-climbing-out-herself dilemma is beautifully resolved and the character is both likable and credible. The main source of awesomeness, though, is the hero.
Image source: Disney and here

Yeah, I'm going there. I'm trying to think of another Disney cartoon leading man with facial hair and I just can't. Flynn Rider, for tis he, is the result of much market research into what women like in a hero. And it's paid off, he's cocky but charming, confident but insecure, and, so far as cartoon characters go, pretty damned cute.

So that's...

  • Story - Great!
  • Characters - Great!
  • Humour - Funny!
  • Animation - So very Pretty!

So on the whole: GOSEEITGOSEEITNOWANDIWILLCOMEWITHYOU. XD

As it happens, all this male-centric characterisation has come at a good time, as I've FINALLY finished re-jigging my first 8000 words for my POV change. See, I wasn't just indulging in a Disney homage:p It's work, really!

It took me a good two weeks to change everything to third person heroine point of view, although I stress that wasn't two weeks SOLID and I have been a busy bunny (Tangled & My Chemical Romance won't watch themselves) but fiiiiiiinally, I'm up to date. I managed to get a few extra thousand words down this weekend, and have finally jumped the 10,000 word hurdle.

Considering it's taken me over a month to get that far, it doesn't bode well with my deadline for the first draft being July. Hopefully though, now the thorny POV and setting issues are sorted, I can steam on with the story proper:)

1 comment: