Wednesday, 29 December 2010

Sushi, Anti-Woo, Shadows and New Hair.

Happy Christmas-ish!
Admittedly it's a bit late, but I hope it found you and yours well.
Here is some (not remotely) festive sushi for your delight:

We made it just before Xmas, and now I wish only to eat things coated with rice and seaweed!

Writing-wise, the plan had been (as the plan always is) to use the hols productively and, having finished the plan of the novel (previously titled Destined, for want of a better one) I started the first draft! Woo!

Then, 300 words in, it didn't feel right. Anti-Woo. I get this thing with openers where if the feel isn't right I can't get into the other 70,000. My opener, despite (or perhaps because of) being heavily planned, didn't feel right. I know I can go back and edit it, but it just wasn't working for me.

For a few days I sort of mooched around and considered my skeleton manuscript, and I realised didn't particularly like it. I think this is one of the virtues of planning - I realise now I don't like it, rather than 200 hours in! I love my starting concept for it, and really want to tell a story based around it, but the one I'd gone with had turned out a bit... flat. Dull. Lifeless. (like my previous hair, hehe - more on THAT later!)

I took a while and tried to remember what it was that had excited me when I started planning this, a good few months ago now. I wanted something atmospheric and slightly gothic, while sticking to the Regency era. I'd also like it to be quite funny. Jury's out on that one:p

I think that now, after a few days of re-jigging I'm almost ready to start again. Still a few notes and things to iron out, but I've added a few more dimensions to it, and (hopefully) beefed up my lacklustre hero and heroine and made them a bit more... kick-ass. It's re-ignited my enthusiasm for the story, and I can't wait to start it.

Changes made, new working title is something along the lines of His Wicked Shadow, or Shadow or something. While I've read that it's considered a massive faux pas to send manuscript submissions complete with covers, I don't see a problem with a bit of concept art for my blog! I'm itching to do a few pics of my heroine, and if they work (I'm a bit rusty) I'll pop them up here in the coming... time.

In other news, what with the new year being all about change and moving forward and whatnot, a fortnight ago I bit the bullet and finally got the chop. I've had a shortish bob for the past year or so, but have been hankering after an elfin crop for some time. Now it's done.... I love it. My fears of looking like a man were unjustified (I reckon!), as were my concerns it would make my head look too small. My head is just as big as ever XD

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment