Friday, 17 December 2010

In Which I Stop Whining and Start Working.


OK, so that last post might have come across as a bit emo. Many thanks to the lovely people who wrote comments, by the way. I didn't mean it to be whiny or so *I AM CRAP* but I guess that's how it came across.

On the whole, I'm hopeful. I've learnt a lot and some of it, as has been pointed out to me, will be useless rubbish I can disregard. Other bits should be useful and help me along. The main thrust I was going for was that it's good to be more prepared, and I feel like maybe I am.

I think there's a fine line to tread between thinking you're the best thing since sliced bread (watch out world, I'm-a-coming) and being so hypercritical of your work that nothing you do will make it past the first sentence because you're never happy with the wording you've already edited twelve times.

I'm still working on the planning of the new(ish) story. Not sure what to call it. A novel? Manuscript? Collection of words?:p 'Book' seems like tempting fate.

I started off by following the Snowflake Method but have drifted off from that. The ideas are the same but my structure isn't so rigid. Having done the first 3 or 4 steps of the snowflake method and having met my characters and decided their quirks and back stories, I wrote down what I wanted to happen in the *collection of words* in some detail before dividing it up into chapters.

I've read a lot about cliff-hangers and page-turners, and so I've tried to chapter appropriately to maximize the *what-happens-next* factor. Following that, I've basically beefed it out a bit, deciding on locations, adding details, choosing points of view and so on. Most importantly, I've tried to make it make sense!

When it comes to starting my first draft, I (hopefully!) shouldn't come across anything too tricky or writers' block inducing. I'm finding it really helpful. Fundamental parts of the plot have changed and all I've had to do is erase or move a few sentences rather than re-writing a few thousand words (or not bothering and just putting up with it, as has happened before!)

Next on the to do list is adding more and more details and notes in. I like planning, I like knowing what's happening and where I'm going, and I like structure. While there should still be enough room for the plot to grow organically, this should be a massive help!

3 comments:

  1. thanks for following me....
    umm.. this post has an interesting title and it has a personal meaning for me...

    good luck with your book! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss H. If you're still in the early stages of writing your novel, let me suggest a book I'm reading now that'll get you on the right start. THE ANATOMY OF STORY by John Truby. 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller. I've written four novels and earned a creative writing certificate through a local university extension and still find this book teaches me so much I needed to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi There!
    I saw your post on bookblogs and followed you here. I'm your newest follower. I'm not a writer, but I love to act as a sounding board! Drop by and say hi!

    ReplyDelete