Saturday, 21 August 2010

It's Competition Time!


About eight years ago, when I was a much shorter, rounder Miss H, myself and two friends said that very phrase on a local news/magazine show. Embarassing as it was, it was as true then as it is now. Woohoo! It's competition time!

If anything, I'm less famous now than I was then, which is at the very crux of this most delightful of competitions. I am an author so unknown I am really a receptionist. But, I'm working on it, and with this in mind, ladies and gentlemen, I offer you this:




Indeed. I offer you the opportunity to win this completely and utterly unique napkin, featuring a hand written and signed copy of my short story, At The Cafe. Right at this moment, I value this napkin at 6 pence (GBP), which covers both the cost of napkin, and a generous estimate of the cost of the ink used. I offer you this on the off chance that some day, it may be worth more than 6 pence. I can't guarantee that, obviously, but you never know. I've had enough people (figuratively) ruffle my hair and say "ooh, maybe one day you'll be the next JK Rowling", but what if it happened? It probably won't, but it could...

One day, this napkin could put your children through university, it could buy you a house, it could replace your boiler. It almost definitely won't, but can you afford to take that chance?

If I become famous, you can sell this napkin for a large amount of money. If not, free napkin. Win win!


How to Enter:

Entry is free and simple, all you have to do is retweet the following message on twitter:

RT to enter competition for 1-off copy of short story by @misshwrites worth 6 pence! http://tinyurl.com/2wfcb5p

And that's it!

The competition closes midnight on the 31st August, after which I shall try and persuade my mum to pick a name out of some sort of hat, and the winner will be contacted. Multiple retweets do not equal multiple entries, only one entry will be counted per registered twitterer. The story remains my intellectual property, etc etc, you just get a cool napkin.

A copy of the story is available via the writing tab at the top of the page, and maybe if I ever get a bit richer, I'll get copies of the napkin printed to send to publishers or agents but this particular napkin will remain one of a kind because I will never, ever write the whole story out by hand on a napkin again. Never. I completely and utterly refuse. It was a pain in the arse.


For a half-arsed pictorial diary of how the napkin was born, see below. And good luck!



1) My kitchen stank of coffee as many napkins tried out, but only one made the grade...


2) I wrote the whole piggin story out in tiny, tiny writing. Turns out, it's a lot longer than it looks. (It's now a double-sided napkin) bah.


2 comments:

  1. oh I would have entered if I had existed last August - but I would Have come up against a problem immediately - absolutely no idewa how to Tweet soemthing. So did your Mum have a hatfull of tweets to choose from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frances, thanks for visiting! Not quite a hatfull of tweets, but enough to make a competition:)
    I love twitter, it's a great way to learn new things and meet new people, although the premise behind it is worryingly close to stalking....!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete