Sunday, 6 June 2010

A Good Old Rant

I haven't had a good old rant in ages, especially not about something unimportant and silly, so here goes! :D

I went to Holland and Barrett yesterday for my necessary RDA of veggie scotch eggs and while I was browsing at the cereal bars I saw Liz Hurley's new range.

I was intrigued, and despite being 75 pence a pop, I thought I'd give the more chocolaty ones a go. At only 100 calories a bar, it'd be rude not to, surely? And thus begins the rant. They don't really taste of much and anything is 100 calories if it's TINY. Despite the aspirational packaging (eat these and you'll look like Liz Hurley and have pink wellies) and the rather sweet water colours, new farmer Elizabeth (not Liz) Hurley has basically packaged a bit of cardboard. I'd rather eat chocolate and be fat, Liz. And I doubt she does the farming in a black mini dress. But I digress.


Rant over with! In other (less pointless) news, I finally got my sweaty little paws on the new Julia Quinn, Ten Things I Love About You. Regular readers will know I love Julia Quinn more than is healthy, and have been waiting for the release of this one for almost a year. Amazon took SO LONG to deliver it, despite my pre-ordering (it still hasn't arrived) that I just went and bought it from Waterstones yesterday. I read it yesterday afternoon and...

It's alright.

To be honest, it seems like it was done in a bit of a rush. The characters aren't particularly solid, and their key traits pop up as and when necessary rather than being there throughout the book. There are still plenty of funny, quirky bits that Quinn fans will love and it's by no means a bad book. The main problem I had was with the story line. It's based on an interesting premise but feels a bit weak to sustain a whole book. I don't know, it's still better than most regency romances and it's still good, just not her best. I'd recommend starting on one of her others first, before reading this one. I already eagerly await the next one!

My work-wise (like I'm one to criticise Quinn, at least she's published (probably because she's a nice person rather than a bitter husk of human being)), I'm currently working on a very small (week long? less?) project involving revisiting and editing some old work. It's to send off, and since it'll probably not go anywhere and I'll be disappointed and/or embarrassed, I'm not going to tell you what it is or where it's going. So there. If it works, you'll hear about it, and if it doesn't, just assume I'm a massive weeping failure.

Guin's up again, barely any time to go before THE END. If you are one of the three people who has read it through, a) thank you, b) well done and c) hope you enjoy it.

And it's far too hot in this country.

T'ra!

No comments:

Post a Comment