Sunday, 30 May 2010

Is It Sunday Already?

It doesn't feel like a Sunday, what with this whole bank holiday thing we've got going on. Not that I'm complaining, so many bank hols, I could get used to this... But it's been a long week, so I need a long weekend to recover! I say a long week, but really, it was just a long Wednesday. First of all Guin ended up getting finished:S It's 25 (sort of) chapters which brings it in at just under 50,000 words which ain't too bad for a first draft I don't reckon. I changed the ending just before I wrote it so it's gone from a sort of Hollywood ending to one which feels more appropriate, in my opinion. I don't know though, I might change it in the second draft. Either way, it'll all be going up over the next few weeks. Felt very sad when it was done.


I'm trying to bring myself to re-read the whole thing before the last few chapters are put up, just to check there are no major continuity errors (I found one in my NaNo which made a scandal into scandalous incest!) but I just don't seem to be able to bring myself to do it. Once I do that I'll have to accept that a) it's over for now and b) I'm going to have to get on with the mammoth task of second drafting the NaNo. Scary.


But when I finished writing Guin at around midnight, the day wasn't over! I'd been debating whether or not to stay up and watch Julia Quinn's book reading and Q&A session which was going out from Oregan as a live webcast, and eventually decided I ought not to miss it. I adore her books and got really excited about it! Had a bit of a mix up with the times though because I thought it was on at midnight (which would be 7pm in New York) but when I tuned in it wasn't on! Google then sorted me out and it was on at 3am in the morning! Coming from the UK I have absolutely no conception of seperate time zones! By that time I was so excited and I'd already submitted my questions so I had to set my alarm and get up to watch it!

So glad I did! I wouldn't have missed it for anything! I'd submitted a question earlier in the evening and it was picked as one of a few email questions to be answered XD Not only that but when she read my name (not Miss H, alas!) she said it was very regency sounding! I got stupidly excited and immediately text Mr Dishington who happened to be at work and very much awake. When the thing finished at 4 am I couldn't sleep because I was still so excited! Needless to say, I was very very tired at work the next day!


My hyperactivity and ensuing exhaustion aside, the webcast was a brilliant idea, I think. Not only was someone I greatly admire humanised, which made my dream feel a little less far-fetched, but we learned all about her creative process and I picked up a few tips to boot! It's lovely to see someone so enthusiastic about what they do, and I can't wait for my copy of her new book, Ten Things I Love About You to arrive!


So little time so much to tell! Other than that my housemates and I had a photo shoot which was sort of commemorative of our time in the house (we're all moving out and/or to various parts of the country over the next few months) and it was super duper fun! Definitely going to be putting a few of those up once we've moved.


And now I'm going to listen to Amanda Palmer and try and force myself to re-read Guin. I leave you with this...

No comments:

Post a Comment