Sunday, 25 October 2009

Sunday & Julia Quinn

Thank heavens for the extra hour!

Have gone from being a website bore to a NaNoWriMo bore, woe, woe. But but but, it starts a week today and I am very excited, dying to start! As far as I remember the rules say you can plan as much as you want to as long as you don't write any of the actual novel before the 1st November. I've kinda planned the bare bones but, inkeeping with the rushed and experimentary nature of the whole thing, I'm going to try to do a lot of it off the cuff. Hmm, hope that works.

It's going to be a slightly fantasy-based idea, different to everything on the website, but it reminds me of a fantasy I spent my A-Levels writing instead of revising... That took longer than a month but it was about the same length (45,000 words ish) and I worked on it pretty much every day. It was a pile of rubbish but still, a learning curve. Likewise was the first full length (75,000 words) novel I wrote which took me two or three years on and off and was, bluntly, pretentious rubbish. But we live we learn, and by crikey do I feel like I learned a lot from writing that. It was a regency romance (of course!) in a similar vein to the more pompous eighties Mills and Boon and Silhouette romances my sister and I found in the attic.

From starting off stilted and awkward, it goes on to take itself too seriously and then ends with chattering tearyness. I plan to rewrite it one day, maybe make it readable, haha.

One of the reasons I realised, re-reading it a year later (it was called Summer at Staynthroppe, by the way, a pompous title but I always struggle with titles) that it was a bundle of tripe, was because I had since discovered the wonderful loveliness of Julia Quinn. She writes regency romances which, unlike a lot of others out there, are incredibly relatable. The books are written relatively informally but without talking down to the reader.

Her most famous works are probably the Bridgerton series, a delightful set of interweaving stories based around the Bridgerton family, darlings of high society London, and the various romances of the eight adult children of the family. Before this turns into a love letter to Ms Quinn I feel I must add that while all her books are different they can be a tad formulaic, as well as more than a bit unbelievable, just as any book within that genre can be. Yet the point of the best of this genre is escapism, not realism. If I want historical accuracy and realism I will read a history book. If I want a real sense of romance and regency fantasy I will look no further than here. Comforting reads, less like junk food and more like a big bowl of homemade soup, these are entertaining and exciting, with likeable characters and laugh-out-loud humour. Highly recommended, as I'm sure you can tell.

And I end on that happy note to try and re-jig the current Teh Big Storeh (see, I always struggle with titles!) and get on with some actual writing, not just rambling.

PS, I hope that whoever it was that thought of bringing out star-shaped hula hoops for Christmas got a promotion. They're awesome! Same applies to caramel Kitkats.

1 comment:

  1. what about wispa golds :P everythings awesome with you these days. x

    ReplyDelete